This was the December Challenge from A Day Not Wasted. A very unusual subject for me. Completely out of my comfort zone, but once I got started I really enjoyed the challenge. I don't like the tree bottom right, but decided not to fiddle.
This is my interpretation of the Studio Atelier Challenge November challenge. I cropped the original photo. In retrospect, I think I should introduce a few darks on the bottom right. Unfortunately I have submitted it now!!!
This was painted for the Paint and Draw Challenge November challenge. The original painting was painted by Jean-Simeon Chardin (1699-1779). I was quite excited when I first viewed this detail and thought I would use my new oils. I had a piece of hardboard, previously prepared with fine gauze and a couple of coats of white emulsion. This I coated with a mixture of appropriately coloured acrylics using a 1" decorator's brush and paint straight from the tubes and a criss cross action. I then smoothed the whole surface over with a dry, very soft mop brush working gently from side to side starting top left. At this stage, when it was dry I intended to use my oils, but because I already had my acrylics set out, I'm afraid I succumbed! I'm quite pleased with the result. It was quite difficult to photograph. My original painting appears to have more lost edges!
12"x16" Acrylic on paper
I recently attended a Molesey Art Society workshop run by Audrey Cove. We were given a black and white photo of a painting by S. J. Peploe and spent a couple of hours painting our own interpretation in acrylic. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, painting in a much looser style than normally.
I painted this beautiful autumn bouquet in gouache on an acrylic ground. I have discovered that if I spray fixative between the layers I don't have a problem with the paint lifting when I add more colour.
This picture was painted for the A Day Not Wasted June challenge, but I missed the deadline and posted a pen and ink sketch instead. This is my first painting in oils. It took a bit of getting used to from the drying point of view, but otherwise I quite enjoyed painting it.