Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 November 2012

In the Style of an Old Master

Acrylic on prepared hardboard
12"x10"

This was painted for the  Paint and Draw Challenge November challenge. The original painting was painted by Jean-Simeon Chardin (1699-1779). I was quite excited when I first viewed this detail and thought I would use my new oils. I had a piece of hardboard, previously prepared with fine gauze and a couple of coats of white emulsion. This I coated with a mixture of appropriately coloured acrylics using a 1" decorator's brush and paint straight from the tubes and a criss cross action. I then smoothed the whole surface over with a dry, very soft mop brush working gently from side to side starting top left. At this stage, when it was dry I intended to use my oils, but because I already had my acrylics set out, I'm afraid I succumbed! I'm quite pleased with the result. It was quite difficult to photograph. My original painting appears to have more lost edges!

No comments: